On This Day in Trinity House History – 28 October

1781

Famed Lighthouse Engineer James Walker is Born

James Walker's Greenland Dock memorial

James Walker’s Greenland Dock memorial

James Walker was an influential civil engineer.

In 1821 he built his first lighthouse, the West Usk Lighthouse, near Newport, South Wales. His company Walker, Burges and Cooper first consulted Trinity House about 1824 and he was associated with them until his death. He designed and built many important lighthouses in the first half of the nineteenth century, including Belle Toute, Start Point, St Catherine’s, the Needles, the Smalls, Trwyn Du and the Bishop Rock. Walker’s firm designed some 29 towers for Trinity House.

He died on 8 October 1862.