On This Day in Trinity House History – 19 August

1738

London’s poor receive a gift from a ship’s ‘swear jar’

Trinity House Court Minute:

“Mr. Matthew Cooper, Master of the Scrope of Bristol, and a Younger Brother of this Corp: having sopped sixteen shillings from the wages of several of his seamen in his last voyage to and from Jamaica by way of penalty for Swearing and Drunkenness, pursuant to the By Laws of this Corp: he attended and paid the same into the poor’s box”

 


1931

Zeppelin Over Souter Point Lighthouse

From the Shields Gazette:

“Graf Zeppelin, the giant German airship which is making a tour of the British Isles, travelled hundreds of miles during the night and is still in the air. The airship was clearly seen over several Tyneside towns, passing over South Shields at about eight o’clock. In response to the salute with the siren at Souter Lighthouse, the airship gracefully dipped in acknowledgement.”

Souter Point Lighthouse was built in 1871 by Trinity house to ward ships from the dangerous rocks at Whitburn Steel; the development of new technology like GPS and satellite navigation led to its decommission in 1988 after 117 years of service to shipping in the North East.

Souter Point Lighthouse, Marsden, Tyne and Wear

Souter Point Lighthouse, Marsden, Tyne and Wear

Enter the Trinity House 500th anniversary quiz for great prizes

Enter the Trinity House 500th anniversary quiz for great prizes

As part of its 500th anniversary celebrations, the Corporation of Trinity House is offering the chance to win a copy of the new Trinity House photography book Light Through A Lens and a Trinity House-themed print by renowned illustrator Peter Kent.

We’ll post more about the book on this blog closer to its publication on 11 September 2014. In the meantime, you can read about it on the Bloomsbury website.

To find out more, please visit the Trinity House website. Good luck!

On This Day in Trinity House History – 2 June

1742

Almswoman Ms. Barman is asked to cease her ‘irregular’ behaviour

Trinity House Board Minute:

“Complaints being made to the Board by the Deputy Master and other brethren who have lately visited our Almshouses at Deptford, that Anne Barman, one of our almswomen there is addicted to drinking and behaves Irregularly, and she having been ordered to attend the board thereon, she attended accordingly, and being severely reprimanded for the same with threats of dismission in case of farther misbehaviour, four shillings a month was ordered to be stopped from her pay till farther orders and her better behaviour.”

Trinity House almshouses at Deptford

Trinity House almshouses at Deptford

500 Years of Trinity House exhibition opens at the National Maritime Museum

Guiding Lights: 500 years of Trinity House and safety at sea

Trinity House exhibition banner

On 15 April the Master of Trinity House, HRH The Princess Royal, formally opened the new exhibition at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London, titled ‘Guiding Lights: 500 years of Trinity House and safety at sea’. The exhibition is a fantastic showcase highlighting the history and modern relevance of Trinity House as a charity, a general lighthouse authority and a deep sea pilotage authority today, and its many historical functions.

“Guiding Lights showcases centuries of invaluable work by the Corporation of Trinity House to help sailors navigate safely at sea, preventing countless shipwrecks and immense loss of life.

Marking the 500th anniversary of Trinity House, the gallery displays 70 rarely seen objects from Trinity House and the Museum’s own collection, telling stories of the heroic and the extraordinary from throughout the organisation’s history, and of human fortitude in the face of the immense power of the sea.

The history of Britain’s lighthouses is told through intricate models, dramatic film and the personal effects of lighthouse keepers. Lightvessels, buoys and yachts are illustrated through rarely-seen, beautiful watercolour sketches by accomplished marine artist William Lionel Wyllie. Tales of personal bravery include that of lighthouse keeper’s daughter and plucky heroine Grace Darling.”

This wonderful exhibition is open from 16 April 2014 until 4 January 2016, open daily 10.00-17.00, and is suitable for all ages and backgrounds.

Entry is free to all!

More information for visitors can be found at the Royal Museums Greenwich website or by telephoning 020 8312 6565.

On This Day in Trinity House History – 4 April

1917

Trinity House hosts first meeting of King George’s Fund for Sailors

Trinity House Court Room

Trinity House Court Room


The first meeting of the newly-formed King George’s Fund for Sailors was held in the Court Room at Trinity House.

The King George’s Fund for Sailors (today known as Seafarers UK) was formed by a meeting of representatives of the Marine Charities, Shipowners, Merchants, etc., held at Dixon House, Lloyd’s Avenue, with Captain A W Clarke (afterwards Sir Arthur Clarke) an Elder Brother of Trinity House, in the Chair.

On This Day in Trinity House History – 28 March

1917

Trinity House Elder Brother helps establish King George’s Fund for Sailors

King George’s Fund for Sailors is formed by a meeting of representatives of the Marine Charities, Shipowners, Merchants, etc., held at Dixon House, Lloyd’s Avenue, with Captain A W Clarke (afterwards Sir Arthur Clarke) an Elder Brother of Trinity House, in the Chair. It was then decided to arrange for a “Sailors’ Fund Day” to be held in London. The amount collected to form a Fund to be distributed to Sailors’ Charities, on the principle of King Edward’s Hospital Fund for London.

Today the King George’s Fund for Sailors is known as Seafarers UK, a charity that helps people in the maritime community by providing vital funding to support seafarers in need and their families.

On This Day in Trinity House History – 5 March

1633

The Elder Brethren give Mrs. Colebert’s gift to the poor of Limehouse

Colebert’s Gift:

“By Indenture made the 5th March, 1633, between John Watts of Ware in the County of Hertford, Knight and Emanuel Finch of Ratcliffe in the County of Middlesex Merchant Taylor executors of the Will of Elizabeth Colebert deceased (bearing date 30th May, 1631) of the one part and the Master Wardens and Assistants of Trinity House of the other part.

It is witnessed that the said executors paid to the said Master Wardens, etc., the sum of £50 to the end intent and purpose that they should pay or cause to be paid to the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Hamlet of Limehouse yearly upon the Feast Day of our Lady St. Mary the Virgin the sum of Forty-five shillings to be disbursed and laid out in loaves of bread by the Church-wardens and Overseers for the time being and then to be by them distributed and given by them to the Poor of the Hamlet of Limehouse, according to the Last Will and Testament of Mrs. Colebert wherein she gave forever to the Company of White Bakers in London the aforesaid sum of £50 to the intent and purpose therein mentioned.

Which Company refusing to accept thereof it was by the said executors given to the Corporation for the use and, distribution above mentioned.

And the Corporation accepted thereof and Covenanted with the executors for the performance of payment accordingly.”