On This Day in Trinity House History – 17 December

1744

The Elder Brethren ask the Navy to stop pressganging Trinity House men

Trinity House Court Minute:

“Request to the Officers impressing seamen, not to impress Mr. John Rooff nor four men now sent down in all haste with our sloop to lay a new buoy on the Woolpack in the room of that which broke away on Friday last to prevent losses to navigation… under the seal of the Corporation.”

We can at least be thankful that the men and women on our tenders today don’t have to worry too much about being pressganged by the Royal Navy.

On This Day in Trinity House History – 6 October

1733

Maplin Beacon disappears

Board Minute:

“The board informed that the Maplin Beacon is gone; Ordered that Mr. Baker be directed to lay a buoy there forthwith, with a flag on it to distinguish it from other buoys in those parts, till a beacon can be replaced, and to send up notice when it has been laid so that notice of the same may be advertised in the public prints.”

 

On This Day in Trinity House History – 18 April

1744

Trinity House Keep a Thames Waterman from the Press Gangs

Trinity House Board Minute:

“A certificate to the officers employed in empressing seamen, not to Impress John Goodcheape, employed as a waterman to row the Deputy Master and Wardens, was issued under the seal of the Corporation.”

Trinity House had the right to license mariners to row on the Thames as watermen. These watermen were both older and fewer in number than the apprentices and freemen of the Company of Watermen and Lightermen.

Trinity House by the Thames 1746

Trinity House by the Thames 1746