On This Day in Trinity House History – 30 December

1731

A Curious Notice

A curious notice in The Daily Post recorded that

“Mr Acton, a Woollen Draper in the Strand, and his maid-servant, have been carried to the Buoy of the Nore, to be dipped in salt-water to prevent the mischievous consequences of being bit by a mad cat.”

 

Advertisements

On This Day in Trinity House History – 24 April

1731

Trinity House deal with a fouled buoy

Trinity House Board Minute:

“Letter from the Buoy Keeper at Yarmouth that the Master of a vessel of that town had lately dragged one of our buoys at the Cockle out of its place by fastening his ship thereto, in order to sheer her off from the land. Ordered that he be directed to send up the master’s name in order to his being prosecuted for the same (which Mr. Mowbray is to be consulted about in the meantime) and that notice be given in the public prints that all such Master of ships as shall drag any of our buoys in like manner will be prosecuted, and all such persons as shall give information thereof to this House will be rewarded.”

 


1969

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh is elected Master

Trinity Monday: HRH The Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh KG KT OM GBE is elected Master of Trinity House, on the death of the Duke of Gloucester.

He was elected as Master for every following consecutive year until 2011, when he retired, making him the longest-sitting Master in the Corporation’s history. He remains today an Elder Brother of the Court, having been sworn-in in 1952.

Prince Philip was born 10 June 1921. As the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, he is the longest-serving and oldest-ever spouse of a reigning British monarch, and the oldest-ever male member of the British royal family.

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and portraitist Chen Yan Ning at Trinity House

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and portraitist Chen Yan Ning at Trinity House

On This Day in Trinity House History – 10 January

1731

A Moving Lighthouse at Lowestoft

Trinity House Board Minute:

“Mr. Jull reporting that the Moving Lighthouse At Lowestoft was finished and that Captain Long would not kindle a light therein till he should receive their orders: Ordered that the Clerk do write to him to kindle it on the 1st. February, and to give notice thereof in the three next Gazettes, and in the daily newspapers.”

Lowestoft 1866 chart

Lowestoft 1866 chart