Enter the Trinity House 500th anniversary quiz for great prizes

Enter the Trinity House 500th anniversary quiz for great prizes

As part of its 500th anniversary celebrations, the Corporation of Trinity House is offering the chance to win a copy of the new Trinity House photography book Light Through A Lens and a Trinity House-themed print by renowned illustrator Peter Kent.

We’ll post more about the book on this blog closer to its publication on 11 September 2014. In the meantime, you can read about it on the Bloomsbury website.

To find out more, please visit the Trinity House website. Good luck!

Postcard from Mumbles Lighthouse

Postcard from Mumbles Lighthouse

Postcard from Mumbles Lighthouse

It seems to be a quiet week in Trinity House history of the ‘On This Day’ variety, so here’s another postcard for your viewing pleasure.

This postcard is from the Mumbles Lighthouse, built in the picturesque Swansea Bay in 1794. It wasn’t untilĀ 1 November 1975 that Trinity House assumed responsibility for the lighthouse from the British Transport Docks Board.

The Mumbles originally displayed two open coal fire lights one above the other to distinguish it from St. Ann’s Head Lighthouse which had two lights on separate towers and Flatholm Lighthouse with one light.

 

 

Postcard from Hunstanton Lighthouse

Postcard from Hunstanton Lighthouse

Postcard from Hunstanton Lighthouse

The now-defunct Hunstanton Lighthouse is located in Norfolk. The present lighthouse was built in 1840 although there has been a lighthouse on the site since 1665. The present lighthouse ceased operations in 1922, since when it has been a private residence and a holiday let.

Postcard from Souter Point Lighthouse

Postcard from Souter Point Lighthouse

Postcard from Souter Point Lighthouse

Souter Point Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1871 and decommissioned in 1988, at which point it was handed over to the National Trust, who opened it to the public in 1990.

It was one of the first lighthouses in the world designed and built to be powered by electricity, being first lit 11 January 1871.

Most recently, it earned attention as the scene of the ‘Foghorn Requiem‘, when more than 50 ships gathered on the North Sea to perform an ambitious musical score on 22 June 2013.