Lizard Lighthouse is lit for the first time
Lizard Lighthouse is lit for the first time by a private lessee. Trinity House became responsible for the operation of the lighthouse in 1771. The site initially consisted of two towers, with a cottage built between them, in which an overlooker supervised both from a couch, with a window on either side commanding a view of the lanterns. When the bellows-blowers relaxed their efforts and the fires dimmed, he would remind them of their duties by a blast from a cow horn.