The first Court is held at the new Trinity House at Tower Hill
The first Court of the Elder Brethren is held at the newly-built corporate headquarters at Tower Hill.
By 1793 the house in Water Lane was in need of extensive repair. The Corporation sold the property to the Commissioners of Customs, and took over a vacant site on Tower Hill. Master carpenter-turned architect and engineer Samuel Wyatt, appointed Surveyor to Trinity House in 1792, drew up plans for a new house, which he can be seen presenting to the Elder Brethren in Gainsborough Dupont’s immense group portrait of 1794. William Pitt, Prime Minister, laid the foundation stone on 12 September 1793.
HRH Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn is elected Master of Trinity House
Trinity Monday: HRH Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn KG KT KP GMB GCSI GCMG GCIE GCVO GBE VD TD is elected Master of Trinity House.
HRH Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1 May 1850 – 16 January 1942) was the seventh child and third son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. He was commissioned as a lieutenant in the British Army, where he served for some 40 years, seeing service in various parts of the British Empire. During this time he was also created as a royal duke, becoming the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, as well as the Earl of Sussex. Though he retired from public life in 1928, he continued to make his presence known in the army well into the Second World War, just before his death in 1942; at the time of his death, he was Queen Victoria’s last surviving son. He sat as Master for the consecutive years until 1942.