The Naze Tower beacon gets a whitewash
Trinity House Court Minute:
“Mr. Richman at Harwich reporting that he has been out with several bricklayers to whitewash the Beacon at Nazeland, who think it a dangerous job and ask eight pounds to do it. They to find all the materials except four ladders of 24 feet long, which are wanting; and that some of the Gists are decayed: Ordered, that he be directed to contract with the whitewashing in the cheapest manner he can, not exceeding £8 as proposed, and he also provide the ladders as are wanting and repair the Gists which are decayed.”
The present Naze Tower was built in 1720-21 by Trinity House, and was intended to work in conjunction with Walton Hall Tower to guide vessels through the Goldmer Gap. It was of particular benefit to ships using the nearby port of Harwich. Both the current Naze Tower and its predecessor had beacons or lamps lit at the top, providing an early form of lighthouse. Naze Tower was given Grade II* listed status in 1984 by English Heritage.