Trinity House Vessel Lost During the Second World War
THV Strathearn is destroyed by an enemy mine, with the loss of 17 men.
BARRETT, Percy Victor – Greaser
BOWMAN, Henry Quinton – Chief Engineer
BULL, David Cecil – Third Engineer
CAPPS, John Alfred – Seaman
CASON, Wilfred Henry – Steward
COOPER, Frederick George – Donkeyman
EDWARDS, Daniel Edward – Seaman
JAMES, John Leslie – Lightvessel Fog Signal Driver
HARRIS, Albert Sidney – Seaman
HART, Harry Rivett – Seaman
LOVICK, William Robert – Seaman
MAYSTONE, Edward – Steward
RAVEN, Ronald Spackman – Master
SMITH, William George – First Officer
STONE, William Daniel – Seaman
THORPE, Frederick Walter – Seaman
WILLIAMSON, John Hawkes – First Officer
THV Strathearn, built in 1935, was the first diesel ship commissioned for Trinity House.
The lives lost during the First and Second World War are commemorated in a stained glass window at St. Olave’s Church, Tower Hill. St. Olave’s is the chapel of the Corporation of Trinity House and the resting place of 17th century diarist Samuel Pepys, twice Master of the Corporation.